Sandra Williams Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection is comprised of materials collected by Sandra Leigh Williams during her enrollment at the North Carolina School of the Arts (NCSA) as a high school and college student, and during her employment with NCSA and North Carolina Dance Theatre (NCDT) as Ballet Mistress. Materials include two editions of the NCSA yearbook, programs from NCSA and NCDT productions, newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, and realia including an NCSA decal and penant.
Of particular interest are materials related to NCSA's early productions of The Nutcracker including photographs and a program from the first production signed by members of the cast.
In some materials, Williams is referred to as 'Sandy'.
- Majority of material found within 1966-1974
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Archives collections may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information which is protected under federal or state privacy laws, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in the collections without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina School of the Arts assume no responsibility.
Sandra Leigh Williams of Mobile, Alabama graduated from the North Carolina School of the Arts (NCSA) high school program in 1967, and received her Bachelor of Fine Arts from the School of Dance in 1970. While in school, Williams was involved with a number of productions and also served as a reporter for the N.C. Essay, NCSA's student newspaper.
After graduation, Williams served as Ballet Mistress for NCSA and North Carolina Dance Theatre until 1976. In 1974, Williams married Clyde Wilson Robinson Jr, changing her name to Sandra Robinson. She went on to serve as Director of Dance Studies at Jacksonville University, and Director of the School of Theatre and Dance at the University of South Florida.
.42 Linear Feet (1 document box)
18 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Sandra 'Sandy' Williams was a student in the North Carolina School of the Arts (NCSA) School of Dance, graduating from the high school program in 1967 and receiving her Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1970. After graduation, Williams worked for NCSA and the North Carolina Dance Theatre as Ballet Mistress. The collection includes yearbooks, programs, newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, and realia from her educational and professional activities.
The collection has been arranged in chronological order with undated material held last.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
There is no documentation concerning the provenance of these materials; materials appear to have been donated by Sandra Williams in summer 2006.
Existence and Location of Copies
Selected material from the Sandra Williams Collection have been digitized and are available in the UNCSA Archives Digital Collections.
Decisions regarding arrangement, description, and physical interventions for this collection prior to 2021 are unknown. In 2021, the collection was arranged in chronological order and archivist supplied descriptive folder titles. Materials were placed in acid-free folders and boxes.
- Ballet Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Black-and-white prints (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brochures Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dance (performing arts genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- North Carolina Dance Theatre
- Performing arts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Printed ephemera Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts. School of Dance
- Yearbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Sandra Williams Collection
- Laura Silva
- August 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the UNC School of the Arts Archives Repository
1533 South Main St.
Winston-Salem North Carolina 27104 United States