The Poster Collections is made up of posters produced by each of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts' five schools as well as those from all-school productions, international programs, student life, the Stevens Center, and professional affiliates. Posters range in size and typically include text and graphics announcing events related to the school.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection has not been fully processed and requires advanced notice for access. For information about access to this collection, contact the Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please be advised that preparing unprocessed materials for access can be a lengthy process.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Archives collections may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information which is protected under federal or state privacy laws, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in the collections without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina School of the Arts assume no responsibility.
15.33 Linear Feet (7 drop-front boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into 13 series: Series 1. School of Dance; Series 2. School of Drama; Series 3. School of Music; Series 4. All-School Productions; Series 5. North Carolina Festival Theatre; Series 6. North Carolina Summer Festival; Series 7. Professional Affiliates; Series 8. Stevens Center; Series 9. Sanford Scholarship; Series 10. NCSA General; Series 11. School of Design and Production; Series 12. Student Life; and Series 13. School of Filmmaking.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Posters transferred primarily from the Public Relations department, among other UNCSA offices and departments.
Additions to the collection will be made regularly as publications are transferred or donated to the Archives.
Existence and Location of Copies
Selected material from the Poster Collection have been digitized and are available in the UNCSA Archives Digital Collections.
- Dance (performing arts genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Festival Theatre Incorporated
- North Carolina Dance Theatre
- Performing arts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Piedmont Chamber Orchestra
- Printed ephemera Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts
- Guide to the Poster Collection
- Laura Silva
- September 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.